Lead by our team of experts in one of the worlds premier running locations, Kenya Experience camps are the perfect running holidays for runners of all levels. The groups are led by our Head of Guest Relations Willy Songok.
The training schedules are designed to give guests an authentic taste of running ‘The Kenyan way’. Our coaching team of Collins and Richard are experienced working with runners coming to altitude for the first time and will ensure that the runs are set at an appropriate level.
Our team of local guide runners led by Emmanuel are on hand each day to guide you through the local countryside and help you get the most out of your training camp.
The camps are about more than just running; As well as guided runs, coached workouts and practical workshops we will also have Coaching Seminars, Q&A’s and visits to local athlete homes and training camps. The Kenya Experience program is designed to give you insider access into the world of Kenyan running as well as to immerse you in the local culture in Iten all the while surrounded by like-minded runners who share your passion for all things running.
Location - Iten, Kenya
- Iten is Kenya’s “Home of Champions”
- Standing at 2400m above sea level it is at the ideal altitude for endurance training
- Endless soft dirt trails and road options available
- Located on the escarpment of the Great Rift Valley – truly inspirational views and scenery
- Ideal location to watch and learn from the elite runners based in Iten
- Friendly welcoming attitude of local people
- Year round warm sunny weather
Accommodation – High Altitude Training Centre
- Full board accommodation
- En-suite bathrooms with hot showers
- Deluxe Twin Rooms
- World-class training environment
- Well equipped gym
- 25m outdoor swimming pool
- Local chefs cooking with homegrown produce. 3 Hot meals are served buffet style daily. (individual dietary requirements met on request)
Training & Coaching
- Fully coached training camp
- Led Coaches Collins Kibet & Richard Mukche, often alongside our guest coaches from Europe and other local guest coaches.
- Learn about Kenyan running and training and how you can use it in your training
- Coaches are experienced with runners of all levels
- All runs with our team of local Run Guides
- Training includes Long Runs, Speed Workouts, Hills, Fartlek and Recovery Runs
- Non running practical sessions such as Strength Conditioning, Drills and Mobility workouts
- Seminar, Q&A and Coaches Corner sessions
- Coaches will advise on appropriate levels & volume for each runner and no run or session is compulsory
The standard cost includes:
- Fully guided and coached running camp experience
- 13 nights full board accommodation at the High Altitude Training Centre
- Full use of camp facilities (Gym, Pool, Sauna, TV Room/Lounge)
- Return transfers from Eldoret Airport to Iten
- Full coaching program
- Coached running workouts
- All runs led by our team of local run guides
- Coached non running workouts (gym, technique etc)
- Non running activities including coaching seminars, q&a’s with top Kenyan runners, visits to local athlete camps and much more. (See camp activities below)
- All camp photos as digital download
- Fully Insured and Financial Protection for peace of mind
- Comprehensive Pre Camp Customer Care from UK based office staff
Optional Additional Costs:
- Single Occupancy Rooms – £600pp (Very limited supply)
- Additional accommodation beyond 2 week camp
- Lake Nakuru Safari – £150pp (1 day trip on the camps rest day from training)
What is not included:
- Airfare internationally and to Eldoret
- Purchases of a personal nature and drinks and snacks outside of meal times
Seminars and discussions with coaches
Our coaching team will host seminars, Q&A’s & Coaches Corner sessions to teach you everything you need to know about Kenyan running and to learn from our expert team’s experience.
St Patricks High School
St Patricks can hold claim to be the greatest running school of all time. With school records that most nations would be proud of and Olympians and world record holders among their alumni. St Patricks is widely acclaimed as having started the Iten running phenomena. The St Patricks school grounds pays homage to its own illustrious past, and it is the current home to the legendary coach Brother Colm O’Connell and world 800m record holder David Rudisha.
Meet the stars
We will bring in a local guest runner to talk exclusively to you about their life and career. This is your chance to question a world class runner on their training and racing experiences. With so many to choose from your guest visit is sure to be from a truly exciting athlete.
Observe and join in with Iten’s famous Fartlek workout around the trails of the Iten countryside.
Visit to local runners home
Visit the home of a local runner in Iten and experience the famed Kenyan hospitality. A local runner allows you a glimpse into their world for a personal touch of Kenyan hospitality
Excursions and Hikes
If you have any energy left after the training then Willy and his team love to take you to explore the local area. Short hike to a waterfall anyone?
Our Charity Partners Gathimba Edwards Foundation show you around some of their local projects and show you the difference that your support is making to local families.
Why Book with us?
Trusted training camp provider since 2010
The Kenya Experience has been providing fully coached and tour guided training camps in Iten since 2010. We were the first company to offer such a service to runners and we continue to be the leading company offering running camps in Iten. We have hosted runners from around the world including guests from Europe, North and South America, Oceana, Asia and Africa.
Specialised specific knowledge of Iten
Our staff are highly experienced when it comes to Iten and the runners here. They have all lived in and been part of the Iten community for years. We focus exclusively on running camps in Iten and can therefore offer you the highest quality guest experience during your time here.
Our staff know Iten and the Iten running community intimately, giving you a real insiders view into the lives of Kenyan runners in Iten.
Professional staff working exclusively for us
Our tour guides and coaches are the best in the business. We pay well and look after our staff and in return we expect a high quality of work at all times. This means you receive the highest quality training camp experience out there.
Professional tour guides
Our camps are led by our full time tour guide Willy Songok. Songok is a former professional runner who also competed in the US collegiate system on an athletic scholarship. Since completing his own running career he has worked as a tour guide, safari driver and general manager of 2 of Iten’s hotels. He is the perfect man to ensure that your running camp in Iten runs smoothly.
All Kenya Experience coaches are experts in the field of Kenyan running, with many years of experience as athletes, coaches and as influential members of the Iten running community.
Richard Mukche and Collins Kibet lead our coaching set-up and form the perfect coaching partnership combining Mukche’s experience and Collin’s youth and elite running speed. On many camps, Collins and Mukche are joined by members of our team from the UK who add additional coaching insight and a different perspective to our visiting runners.